Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Soomin may project

My May Project has finished! It's done.

Yesterday, I helped two kids make cards for their teachers. The art teacher is retiring this year, so the kids won't get to see her again. For these two specific kids, they're making cards because they are going back to their country over the summer. (One of them is attending around a month of the next academic year.) There were extra decorative papers from an Orgami class held after school from a while ago, so the girls tapped into that a little bit. One girl also made a thank-you card for a volunteer teacher that came and worked with the kids throughout the year (who is a retired teacher). The two also made cards for me!

The majority of the morning was spent, again, organizing books and making the classroom look tidy. We emptied out book boxes, the shelves, cleared tables, and more.

I also had the opportunity to tutor one girl from Yemen. I was told that she didn't understand what borrowing was, so I taught her that. I took her to the library for around 45 minutes.  First, I timed her doing a simple math exercise of easy subtraction (one digit minus one digit). Next, I timed her doing two digits minus two digits subtraction. Then, I showed her the concept of borrowing. She did fairly well, except that she had to use her fingers to subtract. (But that should get better with more practice.) I also wanted to read her a Dr. Seuss book, but we ran out of time and she had to return to her classroom for recess.

When that time had passed, it was more organizing time for me. I took all the library books to the library and shelved them in their proper places (or more like, tried to do so). As I've mentioned, the labeling was very haphazard and it was hard to figure out what went where.

I also took another student and read with her. It was one of the books from a series called Nate the Great. I took her to an area in the middle of the third grade classrooms to read. She had difficulty concentrating after a while, but we got through a good portion of the book.

1 Comments:

At May 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM , Blogger Martha McMahon said...

Hey Soo Min - tell me more! Sounds like a great project, and I'm so glad you've gotten to spend some quality time with the kids!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home